Wednesday, December 23, 2015

End of our internship but hello new people!


Ten weeks, where did that go?

The past ten weeks have absolutely flown by and this has been by far one of the best adventures I've been on throughout my travels!  We've had over 350 whale shark encounters, more than 60 individuals, humpback whales, dolphins, a manta, a hammerhead and so many other creatures!  If I weren't already obsessed with whale sharks when I arrived, I certainly would be now.  Those big spotty fish are just incredible.  I have no idea what I'll be doing next but I know there will be more sharks in my future!

We took this photo a few days ago as Manolo left for the holidays and it was the first day out for the new volunteers, Sharon and Becky!  They are getting all trained up and ready to start collecting data about the sharks.  They are both from the UK so the British have definitely invaded the office.  It's also getting a bit colder so the wetsuits are coming out and we are all looking stylish in the sea. 

Many thanks to Darren and Manolo for teaching us about the sharks and getting us out on the water as much as possible!  and thanks to Stephanie for getting us involved with the turtles!  I will definitely be returning at some point and if you are interested in joining the project, just go, you will not regret it!!! You might see a blog or two more from me- I need to write about balloons! 

With so much whale shark love and sadness to leave,

Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment